My experience at sculpture making



model of a perfect set of lips



Whenever I hear people talk about sculptures and abstract art, I get so curious to know how people interpret the same form of art in such different ways. My curiosity reached peak when I visited the Barbara Hepworth museum in Cornwall and understood nothing... yes I said nothing. I know most of you would be shocked thinking how I wasn't able to interpret her marvelous work and relate with it, Believe me when I say this I was too. I visited a few beautiful museums too and I understood the artworks there. So this summer I made it my life's mission to expand my knowledge and gain some experience in the field of sculpture art. This was a mission I achieved just before going back to uni by taking classes from the internationally known and EXTREMELY talented sculpture artist Ms. Sheela Chamaria. 
model of perfect eyes
Sheela Ma'am to me was not just my teacher but also my unofficial life coach/therapist/friend. So on my first day with her, she told me that smashing clay on the board was a kind of rhythmic meditation and at that time I just thought it was just something people say. Now after 3 months of classes I actually feel what an idiot I was for believing that because you really have to experience it to know how much clay can help relieve stress and calm your mind. Sheela Ma'am has pushed me every step along the way to think outside of the box, to be creative and let my art speak for me. She is a genius at what she does and her artwork has inspired me so much. 
I am a portrait lover so from the beginning of my classes, I focussed on perfecting my skills and studying every feature with immense detail. At the end of 3 months, I have learned how to make the basic features of a face and have created two small tile compositions made solely from/ focused on one main feature of the face.



day 4-first attempt on lips


day 8- second attempt
final attempt- a perfect set of lips
first attempt at a perfect eye
bottom view of the eye to check the depths and heights


My first tile composition with lips

After casting


                      Final tile with focal point as an eye


Comments

Popular Posts