My experience with wooden sculpture
I was given a project to make a wooden sculpture which was supposed to hold a glassware without a base. As I usually work with portraits I decided to work with the 3 pieces of wood that were given to us and create an abstract model of a torso. I started with drawing out my plan- where the base / torso on which the neck and the face would stand was made in the shape of a pentagon and so it had 5 legs, which joint by the three different joints I learned in a workshop at university- screw, dowel and a half butt joint.
After researching artists like Richard Deacon I came up with the idea of sanding and making my found wood even and cylindrical and then cutting it into thin disks with the machines available at the university's workshop and tried to stack them in an abstract shape to show movement fluidity as in Deacon's sculptures. I also found it really interesting that the repetition of the disks stacked one on top of another gave it a really amazing texture, something that could represent the tip of the spinal cord in the neck. For the head a tried to make the glassware look like a bulb by just joining two small pieces of wood and some wire to make the filament.
I loved how my first sculpture with wood turned out and how, by the end of the project, I got really comfortable with using the machines.



I was given a project to make a wooden sculpture which was supposed to hold a glassware without a base. As I usually work with portraits I decided to work with the 3 pieces of wood that were given to us and create an abstract model of a torso. I started with drawing out my plan- where the base / torso on which the neck and the face would stand was made in the shape of a pentagon and so it had 5 legs, which joint by the three different joints I learned in a workshop at university- screw, dowel and a half butt joint.
After researching artists like Richard Deacon I came up with the idea of sanding and making my found wood even and cylindrical and then cutting it into thin disks with the machines available at the university's workshop and tried to stack them in an abstract shape to show movement fluidity as in Deacon's sculptures. I also found it really interesting that the repetition of the disks stacked one on top of another gave it a really amazing texture, something that could represent the tip of the spinal cord in the neck. For the head a tried to make the glassware look like a bulb by just joining two small pieces of wood and some wire to make the filament.
I loved how my first sculpture with wood turned out and how, by the end of the project, I got really comfortable with using the machines.

Comments
Post a Comment